Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Big Move

It is only fitting, after our 12 year action packed and sometimes, since kids, overly chaotic adventure together, that Emmet and I were closing on our very first home the day after his Residency Graduation.


 We had our friends Nery, Samuel and Juan meet at our house on Greenwood Avenue at 9:00 am and start unloading boxes from the basement into the moving truck. My Dad directed and organized like a true Captain, and my Mom watched the kids, while Emmet and I went to our closing.

 Without a kitchen table to eat off, it was pizza on a blanket on the living room floor and without a crib, it was naps in the car seat on the front lawn. In and out all day, the guys moved like a well oiled machine, working their tails off to get everything out before sunset. I cleaned rooms, boxed up a few last things, and tried, along with my Mom to be the calm in the storm for these little sweeties who had to say good bye to the only home they had ever really known. When all was said and done, we got into our car, and pulled out onto Greenwood avenue from that driveway one last time. I thought I was going to hold it together until I looked out the window and saw our neighbors, Ralph and Cheryl, waving from their front yard. I couldn't hold back the tears. 4 years of helping us in good times and in bad, I couldn't believe they wouldn't be next door anymore. And then all the memories that I saw as I looked beyond our hedges behind our cozy little house, into that great little backyard, where I had spent so much time playing with these three and watching them learn to walk, and run, and explore, and I just sobbed.


People say moving is one of the most stressful life experiences one can go through. After packing up everything we owned after bedtime in boxes, night after night, for months, and then waiting daily on baited breath for weeks for the confirmation that this short sale would happen, I can attest to strain that it put's on anyone. Sitting in the lawyer's office, our palms sweaty with anxiety, waiting for everyone to dot the i's and cross the t's, I felt like there wasn't much more we could take.

 And then finally, just like that, they handed us the keys. Relief. Joy. Dream come True.



Welcome home family. Here is Emmet, after a whirlwind 48 hours of finishing Residency, and moving his family, on his very own stoop at 7:00 at night on June 18 on Cemetery Road. The kids were excited, and we were proud of them. They had been champs all day. We promised them and we hoped that we would never have to move again.

No comments:

Post a Comment