Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Final Reflection




 Saying Good Bye to Dominica is sad. It was so hard for me to put into words the past few months in my own journal what I loved about our life here, what I was so afraid to lose. Then my mother in law loned a book to me recently called A Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh (1975) which I felt spoke directly to the very feelings I have about island life:




"The geographical boundaries, the physical limitations, the restrictions on communication, have enforced a natural selectivity. There are not too many activities or things or people, and each one, I find, is significant, set apart in the frame of sufficient time and space. Here there is time; time to be quiet; time to work without pressure; timme to think; time to watch the heron; watching with frozen patience for his prey. Time to look at the stars or to study a shell; time to see friends, to gossip, to laugh, to talk. Time, even, not to talk..."




"Simplicity of living, as much as possible, to retain a true awareness of life. Balance of phsyical, intellectual, and spiritual life. Work without pressure. Space for significance and beauty. Time for solitude and sharing. Closeness to nature to strengthen understanding and faith in the intermettency of life; life of the spirit, creative life, and hte life of human relationshis. A few shells.. I must remember to see with island eyes."



2 comments:

  1. What a Beautiful quote! I feel the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. You are also going to love having a place to look back at all your baby big moments. We hope you guys are doing well, we miss you and think of you often. I have to admit I was having a miss Dominica kind of day a couple days ago, it was strange but we are all so lucky to have experienced " island life"

    ReplyDelete