Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Lovely Ladies of Dominica


Here's a look back at some of the smiling faces that kept me happy on the isle this past year and a half...

 All the girsl at Red Rock.. .2nd semester
Back row (Heidi, Anna, Jen Miller, Tiffany, Me, Taylor, Chelsea, Margot)
Front row (Erin, Stef, Nina)
 Dancing like queens at Sam's wedding...2nd semester
Erin, Me, Elise and Lauren


The original three after Mini 1 at PBH beach... I love you guys. 
Me, Heidi, Taylor
 Taylor, Me, and Kelsey on my 27th birthday at Pete's Ribs
 Emily and I are World Creole Festival... third semester
 3rd semester banquet... Emily, Erin, Me Brandi, Katie, Tracy
Third semester at In Light In... Emily, myself and Anna
 Drinks at DeChamp...4th semester- Heidi, Taylor, Em, Meg and Me
 Red Rock 4th Semester: Katie Emily, Meg, Taylor, Heidi, Tracy, Brandi, Clare, Me
 Down on Portsmouth Harbor at Cabritz- ladies with local Michael Jackson impressionist (4th)
 My own 4th semester Farewell Banquet -at Dechamps 
 Red, white and blue- how symbolic. We Really do LOVE America :) 16 months of friendship with these blondies
Taylor and Emily, looking all done up :)


I've been to three Farewell Banquets put on by the Ross Spouse Organization, all of them that were not my own, and each time I have wished it was me ready to move on to the next step. It seemed that my banquet would never come, until this past Saturday when it was finally my turn... a bittersweet moment indeed. A wonderful memory- all of the girls dressed to the nines and and full of smiles. Taylor made a wonderful slide show, which certainly drew a tear or two looking back on all the good times and inspired me to make my own on this blog post. 

And as I reflect on the women here, who aside from Emmet have literally been the legs I stand on, I am convinced that there is just something very special about the girls who choose to come down here and live with their husbands for 16 months. Each woman I have befriended though the spouse organization since the day I have arrived has been genuine, loving, talented and adventurous in her own way, and I have learned so much from every one of them. 


Of all the things I thought I might find in Dominica when I arrived, I never anticipated the bond that I would form with the girls here and the sadness I would feel when thinking that I might not be able to stop by and see them whenever I please in the future. With no shopping malls, no grocery stores, no social calendar and no men most of the time, it was just us, and we had the time of our lives. You really taught me what it means to be there for each other and I will never forget you ladies. So here's to you, my Dominica girls. May nothing but good things come your way, always. Never forget the simple life we once knew:)

1 comment:

  1. Meg, you are such a beautiful writer; you said this so well. You have been such a rock here for so many woman. Your absence will be very strong. I love you! Em

    ReplyDelete