Saturday, April 16, 2011

Last Day of work at Ross University Elementary School




I am 100% a kid at heart. If I could pick an age to stay at forever, it would definitely be 6 or 7 years old, and that's probably why I couldn't dodge the inevitability of becoming an elementary school teacher.


I just love the atmosphere in an elementary school. Every holiday is a celebration, even if it's as insignificant as Groundhog Day and every day is a chance for learning and fun. I love the camaraderie of the teachers and the staff and most of all, of course, I love to teach the children. And so, when I came to Dominica, the elementary school on campus became an immediate way for me to keep busy and get involved.


Initially, I volunteered in Ms. Frederick's first grade class, teaching art and giving extra reading help to students three days a week. Then, in February, I was offered a job to work one on one with a little boy named Jack with autism who was in the kindergarten class, which I have had the pleasure of doing ever since.


After my last day with Mrs.Cool's kindergarten class yesterday, I couldn't help but reflect on what a blessing it has been to have had a job here and to have met so many wonderful teachers and students. RUPS has such a unique environment with the constant changing of children every semester and the yearly teacher rotation that you constantly need to meet new people and adjust to a new dynamic. I found this to be both challenging and exciting.
Here they are...future leaders of the world! Gabby, Negin, Jack, Ben, Kernael, Charlie and Manuela. Missing from photo is my girl, Torrie and Mrs. Cools who had a conference.
I have been tracking Jack's progress over the last 6 months on a blog called "Following a Special Boy." Feel free to check it out at www.jackgrogan.blogspot.com.
 My favorite local teachers, Mr. Theo, the PE instructor and Ms. Frederick, first grade. This was at Field Day last summer. My other top memories from the Prep school include the Christmas play we put on this past December and Creole day in October. I will miss everyone very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment